Friday, November 9, 2012

Multiplication Facts, Context Clues, and Energy...Oh my!

In math this week we just focused on learning our multiples. We continued learning our songs and have now learned all times tables for 0-12. We also made flash cards and played a lot of games. Our favorite (by far) was Around the World with multiplication flash cards. One of my kiddos was awesome at the 7's and he finally told me it's because he "counts in touchdowns." LOL.


We've also started time quizzes...not for a grade but for an incentive. We'll be having an ice cream party once all of the kids have earned their "scoops" and "toppings." Each scoop and topping is earned by passing a times quiz.

In reading we worked on context clues. This is such a tricky concept but I have SO much to do with it, so it's actually really fun! We showed an introduction powerpoint, had an online read-aloud and corresponding chart, did several pages with nonsense words and context clues both together and independently, played Context Clues Scoot (I only wish I came up with this one myself!), did another practice slideshow, and then took a quiz (which I'm proud to say that nobody scored lower than an 80%)!







In grammar we focused on subject and predicate. I found this cute slideshow a couple of years back, but I cannot for the life of me find it again to give credit. Then we watched Schoolhouse Rock on Youtube, which was HILARIOUS. Click the link to see the song. 



Last but not least, we were still working on energy in science. We talked about light energy by using these cool solar beads that light up when you get into the sun!



Tuesday was a student holiday and parent conference day. I stayed very organized this year and my 13 conferences went very well. I made this worksheet to do along with the parent and guide our conversation. Then I printed and highlighted current grades, tips on how to help in all subject areas at home, and copies of our multiples songs and put them all into a folder. I labeled each folder with the name and time of the conference.




This afternoon I had rehearsal for the Veterans Day assembly that I planned and coordinated. I'm just praying and crossing my fingers that my third graders do well and everything goes smoothly. We will have over 60 Veterans attending the assembly and our special luncheon for them!

3 comments:

  1. Hi I was wondering if you had any recommendation for teaching context clues. I am working with a group of kids who struggled with this concept and finding resources has been challenging.
    Amber Williams
    amber07fae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please share those printables of your context clues posters? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing the ideas. I teach 6th grade, but learning is learning and well thought visuals are just solid gold. I got some ideas from your work which I will adapt for my class. I was a little envious of a class of 13---I've got 28! keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete